Re: [OPE-L] Scare Quotes (note 'Scare Quotes')

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 09:51:24 EST

Jerry Levy wrote:

> Ian:
>
> I see nothing wrong with Ruccio's  usage of quotation marks in the
> excerpts below.  If you will read a few descriptions of  scare quotes
> on the Net, you will see that their are appropriate and legitimate
> usages.  From the wikipedia entry:
>
> "In spite of their pejorative label, such quotes may be used
> legitimately.  An author who uses quotation marks in such a manner
> may do so in order to disclaim responsibility for the words, or
> to emphasize that in the context a specialized or narrow or historical
> sense is being suggested."
>
> Ruccio is simply disclaiming responsibility for the words [law,
> economy] below.

It was his disowning and thus implicit rejection of the concepts
of economic law and the of the economy that Ian was objecting to.

Ian was saying that in rejecting these concepts he was rejecting
some of the fundamental concepts of Marx, and was thus anti-Marx.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science

0141 330 3125