Re: [OPE-L] Scare Quotes (note 'Scare Quotes')

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 10:28:30 EST

> It was his disowning and thus implicit rejection of the concepts
> of economic law and the of the economy that Ian was objecting to.
> Ian was saying that in rejecting these concepts he was rejecting
> some of the fundamental concepts of Marx, and was thus anti-Marx.

Hi Paul C:

Yes, I understood Ian's claim.  Did you understand mine (see
http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/ope/archive/0512/0029.html )
about the historical experience of what has happened when Marxists
have used terms like "anti-Marx",  "anti-Marxist", and "anti-science"
to describe other Marxists?  Note that I was not essentially making an
ethical or normative claim, but rather a _historical_ one.   Whether
one believes that these terms have legitimate uses or not, one should
not fail to recognize the historical record and the implications thereof
about praxis.

In solidarity, Jerry