Re: [OPE-L] Overdetermination

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 02:13:51 EST

Hi Antonio, Jurriaan, and all,

Apologies of my own, Antonio, for delay.  Apologies also because I will have
to take up my reply in chunks.

First on mind independence.

I tend to agree with the overall thrust of your main points as I understand
them:  (1) our experience, natural or social, is always interpreted; (2)
even where social processes ultimately depend for their persistence on how
we think of them, nonetheless, they may be embedded in nature and behavior
in such a way that as a practical matter we lack the ability to change them
in ways we might intend -- we might need a whole different level of social
organization, for example.

Questions remain, though.  Perhaps they're gathered in the parentheses you
add:

ANTONIO:  "(I will also add that even if there were to be some 'aspect' of
reality that could be argued to be mind-independent, the certification of
that aspect would not suffice to support a theoretical project to seek
mind-independent 'structures.'  Structures, it seems to me, presuppose
networks of causal relations, and as soon as you go from 'elements' to
'structures' such networks would need to be invoked.)"

"Even if there were" suggests you doubt we could locate mind independent
aspects of the world.  Your comment that natural processes 'can more
practically be considered as independent of mind' reinforces this, in so far
as to practically consider something doesn't take any position on the
ontology of the matter.  Perhaps that's the more accurate way to put it.
How the world appears to us in our practical engagement with it is
sufficient.  We don't need the confusion of ontology.

There are points of agreement here.  We agree the point of interpreting the
world is to change it, but I want to add that our interpretations refer to
structures of the world that are causally potent in order to get our
practice right.  That is, if we succeed in picking out relevant causal
mechanisms, then we can accommodate our practice to them, otherwise not.
The really decisive point is that the causal powers of material things are
not socially constructed.  Causal relations are not something we make unless
we actually function causally as parts of nature.  We can put litmus paper
in acid to see if it turns red.  We produce the result.  But to do so we
have to accommodate our practice to something that does not depend on how we
think of it -- the potent chemical process that causes acid to turn litmus
paper red.  It's the accommodation of our practice to the process that's the
challenge.

So I'm confused by the next part of the statement.  If I understand
correctly you say that structures presuppose causal networks and if they
involve networks, then they can't be mind independent.  That's the
implication I draw anyway.

Is this because you are presupposing a Humean notion of cause?  For Hume
cause couldn't be mind independent because causal relations were nothing
more than a psychological habit of mind.  So the point follows.

Or is it because networks of any sort, causal or not, can't be mind
independent?  If this is your meaning, the point is not explained and I'm
not otherwise familiar with it.  Why can't there be networks or structures
or mechanisms of things in nature that operate whether we are there to
experience and interpret them or not?

Again, I agree with you, as I emphsized above, if there are mind independent
structures it will still be the case that we will not have any theoretical
grasp of them except by means of interpretation.  But their existence is one
thing and our interpretation another -- or is that a contestable statement?

In turning to social processes it's probably useful to distinguish two broad
kinds.  Some remain always deeply embedded in material processes, or the
other way around, such that they may come to escape altogether our capacity
to do anything about them.  They're like the litmus paper example
(scientific experiment is a social process).  That is, the natural
mechanisms embedded in the social processes of pollution, global warming,
etc. are such that if we are to do anything about them it will be because
our theories approximately accurately reflect the way these mechanisms are
structured and how they work.  Hegel says a flung stone belongs to the devil
and the meaning here is surely that once we act our actions are subject to
forces we do not control.

But there are also social processes that although they are practically
independent of us depend more or less altogether on our consciousenss of
what we are about.

So the decisive question seems to turn very much on what you mean by causal
structures or networks and why it is these cannot be mind independent.

Jurriaan, very quickly on objectivity.  You seem to want 'objectivity' to
mean 'neutral', but recognizing it can't, hope we can at least approximate
an ideal of objectivity.  Is that a fair understanding of your arguemnt?
But doesn't this still reflect the idea that we can have some kind of pre-
or uninterpreted access to the world?  Post postivist realists have argued
instead that objectivity is best captured as an understanding that actually
corresponds to the way the world is.  Our view is objective when we get it
right about how things are.  A woman may come to understand patriarchy
*because* of her anger, not because she puts it aside in order to view
things without bias.  The result is a more objective view of the world, not
the opposite.  We rely on the miner in the pit to describe the condition of
the mine.  This doesn't foreclose the possiblity that she may be confused
and we may not accept her report.  But all things being equal we would
expect her report to be more objective precisely because of her social
location.

Thanks,

Howard