Re: [OPE-L] Overdetermination & Science

From: antonio callari (antonio.callari@FANDM.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 18:39:17 EST

Jerry,
the reason to discuss something like quantum mechanics, in my view,
is that it gets at the nature of the science model that seems to
frame the methodological concerns people express about postmodernism,
overdetermination, anti-essentialism etc.. If the model of
science/knowledge we use in social analysis rests on certain
presumptions about the properties of reality, then it seems to me
that a discussion about those properties is pertinent (and, in the
end, inescapable). i don't remember the 2002 discussion of the
uncertainty principle. Do you have the approximates dates of the
postings on that? thanks
Antonio

--
Antonio Callari
Sigmund M. and Mary B. Hyman Professor of Economics