Re: [OPE-L] price of production/value

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 09:17:22 EST

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Paul Cockshott wrote:

> Ian Wright wrote:
>
> > I think there is work to be done relating your kind of interpretation
> > of Marx's theory to the N-R interpretation, rather than assuming that
> > they are simply written in different languages, and never the twain
> > shall meet. I don't think I'm being naive in thinking that rational
> > people, Marixsts and neo-Ricardians alike, can mutually learn from
> > each other via critical engagement with the other's theoretical
> > framework. We are tying to talk about the same object.
> >
> I think this is a very fair point. If one insists that every subsequent
> theorist
> must use exactly the same linguistic and conceptual framework as the
> previous
> one, then there could be no theoretical development. One has to at least
> initially assume that Sraffa is talking about the same reality and trying
> to construct a way of theorising it.
>
> --
> Paul Cockshott

Paul, as I discussed in a previous post, I am not insisting that every
theory use the same conceptual frameowrk.  Rather, I am emphasizing
that Marx's conceptual framework is very different from Sraffa's
conceptual framework, and thus that the conclusions derived from
Sraffa's framework do not apply to marx's framework.  I also agree
(with some reservations) that Sraffa's theory is about the same
reality as Marx's theory.  But I argue that Sraffian conclusions about
that reality (e.g. values not linked to prices) are not correct
conclusions, because the Sraffian framework is not the correct
framework for analyzing capitalist reality.

Comradely,
Fred