Re: [OPE-L] Net Consequences and Praxis

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 11:35:06 EST

Hi Paul Z,

I was thinking about several concurrent developments:

1) the growth of commercial sites on the Net and their
increasing importance for commerce, i.e. firms in many
branches of production are promoting their commodities
on the Net and it  has become a major 'shopping place' for
consumers in many different markets;

2) getting connected has become more and more a
commercial activity;

3) Internet forums and search engines are increasingly tied
to commercial ventures.  Re the former, note the format of
'yahoo groups' in which there is advertising on each page
(also note how those with some yahoo addresses have
advertising embedded _in_ their emails); re the latter,  note
what happened recently when google 'went public' (i.e. offered
stocks).

4) It is less possible now than years ago to download songs
for free (c.f. IPod)

There is, as you say, real democratic potential and practice.
I think the emphasis now is far more on potential and that
the practice is becoming far less democratic and
instead driven by the market.

Also ... let us not forget the state, which played the crucial role
in the origin of the Net and uses the Net to monitor communications
among private parties and in some countries (e.g. China) restrict
content for consumers.

In solidarity, Jerry