Re: [OPE-L] Hegel, Marx, and the Differential Calculus

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 11:28:23 EDT

glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:

> Paul B asked recently for literature on Marx and calculus. Here's
> a recent paper from Denmark on that subject.
>
> Is there anybody on the list, with a greater knowledge of calculus
> than I, who can comment on the following?
>
> In struggling with differential calculus, was Marx struggling with how to
> present his theory in a more dynamic form?
>
> In solidarity, Jerry
>

> <http://home20.inet.tele.dk/swing/Hegel_Marx_and_the_Differential_Calculus.htm>

The problem of the continuum and the physical reality or unreality
thereof has some indirect political economy relevance via the link of the
hypothetical hypercomputation.
Witold Marciszewski argues that the idea of hypercomputation
undermines Lange's argument against Hayek.
see: http://www.calculemus.org/Alg/compl-social.pdf
for arguments against see:
Paulo Cotogno in
http://bjps.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/54/2/181
or Cockshott and Michaelson in
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc/reports/wegner25aug.pdf

One issue at stake is whether or not Aristotle's
distinction between potential and actual infinites is justified.
I would argue that it is, and the there are no physically
realisable actual infinities. The proposed hyper-computational
or hyper-rational methods mostly depend upon the possible
existence of completed inifities.

The link to the calculus comes through some work by
Pour El on whether there exist systems of differential
equations whose solutions are uncomputatble. The connection
is then made between such systems and possible physical systems.
It is questionable however whether the formalism of
the calculus can be applied to reality at all scales, at a sufficiently
small scale of subdivision it can be expected to break down
as a picture of reality, as argued for instance by Smolin.

Such possibilities of a breakdown of the calculus at small
scales were as far as I know not being considered in the
19th century.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science