Re: [OPE-L] an ad hominem response

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2006 - 23:15:42 EDT

>Isn't it also a huge discussion precisely what kind of logic we are
>talking about, especially in economics? Where the mainstream
>neo-classical "logic" is static equilibrium, and everything else is
>regarded as "verbal" (ad hominem)?
>
>The same static logic of Sraffa and Bortkiewicz also has fundamental
>effects on what is regarded as logical, consistent, cf. the
>discussion about the transformation problem.
>
>If you then go to dynamic systems, cybernetics, chaos theory, this
>logic (these mathematical tools) is much less restrictive regarding
>what is regarded as "logical". Quite other "stories" can be told
>using this kind of "logic".
>
>My answer to Mike L. would be that is not a mere question of
>integrating some divine "logic" with "verbal persuasion". We need to
>discuss what kind of logic is at the basis of economics. No argument
>is convincing if it is not logical.
>
>Concretely what we need more than ever is to continue the fight
>against the static equilibrium logic in economics. IMHO no argument,
>no theoretical result, that builds on static equilibrium should be
>accepted unless stability is proven, i.e. what happens if we are not
>in equilibrium.

I think we should also ask why within Marx's own theory
simple reproduction is not an equilibrium situation or a very unstable
condition. It also does not seem to me that Marx would have thought
it possible for capital to remain in a situation of stable Keynesian
unemployment
equilibrium or a Sweezy-ian permanent stagnation.

Rakesh