Re: [OPE-L] Help! Marx Quote

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@WFU.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 23:42:44 EDT

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, dlaibman@JJAY.CUNY.EDU wrote:

>  As usual, when I need a remembered quote from Marx, it is not
> (apparently) where I thought it would be, in this case in one of
> the Prefaces to Capital I.
>  The quote (from memory): "What all these gentlemen lack is
> dialectic.  Their communication is 'yea, yea, nay, nay, and
> whatsoever cometh not of these cometh of evil.'"

This Biblical tag is quoted in Lenin's "What the 'Friends of the
People' Are and How They Fight the Social-Democrats"

http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1894/friends/06.htm

A citation of it is also attributed to Engels, by Alan Woods

http://www.marxist.com/Latinam/marxists_and_venezuela.html

but without any specific bibliographical information.

This information comes from a Google search on the keywords in
your quotation, with "Marx" appended.  The fact that no text by
Marx shows up in the first page or two of Google hits, when Marx's
works are well archived and accessible to Google's robots,
suggests that it does not appear in his published works.

Allin Cottrell