Re: [OPE-L] Help! Marx Quote

From: dlaibman@JJAY.CUNY.EDU
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 09:56:11 EDT

Once more, thanks to Allin (and Google!).

Although the biblical citation appears first in *The German Ideology*,
it re-emerges later in *Anti-Duhring* and also in Engels'
correspondence, so I think we can assume it originated with Engels,
not Marx.  It appears first in a jointly authored work; this is
interesting in that it shows that the joint works by M and E were
indeed *co*-authored; that Engels' name was not simply attached to
Marx's writings.

Opposition to rigid antitheses ("metaphysics") does not exhaustively
describe the dialectic -- but this is another story altogether.

Best to all,

David