Re: [OPE-L] Engels and religion

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 19:44:50 EDT

> Didn't his father force him to study the Bible?

Hi Michael P,

I imagine so. It would have been very uncommon indeed for a son of
a manufacturer growing up in the 1820's and 1830's in the Rhine
Province of Prussia _not_ to have been required to study The
Bible. A knowledge of religion and scripture would have almost
certainly been expected, also, for a philosophy student in college.
[Indeed, even today there are departments called "Philosophy and Religion
Department" at some well known US colleges. Last I heard there was an
OPE-L member who had the distinction of being Chair of such a Dept. --
even though I think s/he is an atheist. Can you guess who?]

What was there about this particular quote, though, that so endeared
it to Engels that he would repeatedly cite it?

In solidarity, Jerry