[OPE-L] critics of statistics

From: ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 06:29:52 EDT

--------------------- Original Message --------------------
Subject: critics of statistics
From:    "Luis A. Aviles" <laviles@uprm.edu>
Date:    Sun, April 30, 2006 12:59 am
To:      glevy@pratt.edu

Dear Jerry:

Please, forward the message, I would like to see what comes from it.

Let me explain something to you about my interest in the matter.  I am
currently working in a project in which I present a critique of statistics
based on the results of the U.S census conducted in Puerto Rico, as it
relates to racial classification.  My work criticizes the positivist
assumptions of racial statistics.  I would like to know of people working
in the field of economics, and other fields, who work on issues related to
a critique of any aspect of the social production of statistics.  As the
field of statistics presents itself of being non-ideological, I would like
to be familiar with critiques of statistics.  Do you know of anyone?
Thanks,
Luis A. Aviles
University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez