Re: [OPE-L] Bloody Capital and Dead Labour Cultural Studies

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 18:12:52 EDT

> capital surely above all things acts on an irresistible compulsion
> "Accumulate Accumulate"

Hi Chris,

Right, this was the point I made below about the character mask
assumption.

> For me capital is an active agent because of its form. For someone
> who identified it with its substance then it would be active as undead
> labour feeding off living labour.

Are _capitalists_ vampiric or not in your reading of the "political
economy of the undead"?

If capitalists are to be treated as "capital personified" (the character
mask assumption again) then doesn't the capital-form find its
"undead"  expression in the acts of capitalists as agents?
(NB: we are talking about agency, not 'substance'.)

You claim in your review, "the domination of capital over
labor is nothing less than the rule of undead labour."  If
labour is ruled over by the undead, then what does that make
labourers?

In solidarity, Jerry