Re: [OPE-L] workers' consumption and capitalists' consumption

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 05:16:17 EDT

I think Ajit has focussed on a key point here.

Ian why do you think that capitalist consumption is productive
whereas that of workers is not?

Why not include workers consumption as well in your equation so
to get
2 tons raw material  + 4000 hrs of labor +4 tons workers consumption + 4
tons capitalist consumption  --> 10 t. of corn

In treating capitalist consumption as productive you are going against
the whole school of classical political economy. If capitalist consumption
is productive then money spent by capitalists on their domestic
servants would also count as productive so you are rejecting
the distinction between productive and unproductive labour made
by Smith and Marx.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science