Re: [OPE-L] workers' consumption and capitalists' consumption

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 22:25:47 EDT

Hi Ian,
I have been following with interest your
heroic and heroically clear arguments.
A couple of things:

1. Does your accounting
conflate juridical and real-productive categories:
to quote more or less from the critique of Adolph Wagner,
  profit on capital is not a constitutive element,
yet the value not constituted by the labour of the capitalist
conceals a portion which he can appropriate legally

2.  Equilibrium economics cannot think dialectically.
It simply cannot think society as a whole and as a real temporal
process. Its remains an impotent or passive spectator
to the reproduction of society by social productive
labor, 'constrained by itself by the need to produce again'*,
and as a consequence of contradictions immanent to that self-
constricted process of social re-production, to change the form
of society itself.

Neo Ricardianism captures reproduction (and so may be
superior to neo classical economics as Pasinetti and others argue)
but absents real temporal process and development.
For Marx the question is why the reproduction of
bourgeois society itself depends on growth and development. Or why
as Schumpeter put it a stationary capitalism is a contradiction in terms

Neo Ricardianism is at best only half dialectical. So the whole
project relies on Pasinetti
for vindication (and his disequilibrium growth theory
of underconsumption), yet he's hardly discussed as compared to Sraffa.
This baffles me.

I'm also a bit bewildered by your choice to do battle so deep into enemy
terrain. Wouldn't a simple reconaissance mission have sufficed?

Rakesh

*quote from John Torrance