Re: [OPE-L] workers' consumption and capitalists' consumption

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 05:35:14 EDT

Ian,
Your last message tells me that this conversation most
likely is not going to be productive any longer. But
here is my last try:

(1) You claim that 'Sraffa's' labor-value accounting
is wrong because he does not account for labor-value
of capitalist consumption. And you correct him by
doing so.

(2) So I read 'Sraffa part' of your paper that
develops this argument. I pointed out to you that your
accounting scheme, which you present as the 'correct'
alternative to Sraff's 'wrong' scheme has conceptual
error.

(3) This conceptual error turns out to be a logical
error since your scheme requires outputs to be treated
as its own inputs--this reading of mine is correct
because in your paper you turn whatever is the surplus
produced in the current period into its own input in
the same period.

(4) To this you responded that actually you are not
treating outputs to be its own inputs but rather the
capitalist consumption is a historical datum, i.e. its
the surplus of the last cycle of production.

(5) then I pointed out that if this is how you
interpret your scheme, then you get into another
problem, i.e. your principle of accounting breaks down
if the current period surplus happens to be different
from the surplus of the past period. So your scheme
freezes rate of wages for all conceivable past and
futute.

(6) Note that this condition is not a condition of
simple reproduction schema in Marx. Marx's schema
takes current period and assumes that all the surplus
of the current period will be consumed by the
capitalist. Thus it is open to accommodating any wage
rate that prevails today. Your system is not.

(7) Also note that your labor-value accounting is
radically different from Marx's. In Marx v = c+v+s,
where (v+s)= L, direct labor-time. In your scheme:
v = c+L+s = c+v+2s, that's why in my first messege I
pointed out that your scheme involves double counting
of profits or surplus value.

(8) You say that my example of wages being 0.0005 ton
of corn per hr. of labor in the current period implies
recourse to non-equilibrium situation. Now, just a
second of reflection should have told you that in a
one commodity corn economy, talk of non-equilibrium is
pure non-sense. What could be non-equilibrium in a one
commodity corn economy? Why can't the capitalists eat
the surplus 6 tons of corn? All you need to do is to
think through the issue.

(9) Most of your current response sounds like pulling
a Kliman. I remember, when I will show Kliman that his
TSS is pure non-sense, he will resort to herling
abuses at Sraffa (in his case, his knowledge of Sraffa
was rather negative than even zero, so those abuses
sounded quite funny). My answer to your so-called
criticisms of Sraffa for the purpose of the present
debate is simple: Let us assume that Sraffa was an
idiot, and he did not know that in an equation LHS
must balance with RHS, etc., etc. Further on, let us
assume that Ajit Sinha is an idiot too. Even then the
logical problems with your accounting system that I
have pointed out will not go away. You don't become
right by virtue of X or Y being wrong.

(10) I do not think that your work has been in vein
though. I think if you think through the issues you
could come up with a good mathematical paper that will
show correctness of Sraffa's statement that once
surplus emerges in a subsistence system, the system
becomes self-contradictory. You can show that there is
no way one can convert surplus into cost and equate
the sum of column inputs with the corresponding row
outputs. This could also give you some clue to
interpreting Sraffa's note on 'surplus' and
'objectivity', which you have not read completely but
are relying quite a bit on.

(11) If all this has not convienced you that there is
some problem with your accounting system, then good
luck to you. You have at least not been able to
convience one person. Cheers, ajit sinha

=== message truncated ===