Re: [OPE-L] Accumulation in China

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2006 - 03:29:46 EDT

Paul C wrote on 14 June:

>As the Chinese economy exhausts its supplies of peasant labour, the
>widespread but relatively isolated labour militancy of today can be
>expected to coalese into a powerful trades union movement.

There is good reason to believe that even explosive mfg growth is not
soaking up the surplus population. See my last post. We are looking
at jobless growth which a host of special factors in China and the Wet
is at present masking.

>  Real wages
>have been rising fast already, and this will continue.

There seem to have been some improvements for example in Shanghai, but
this is just pushing investment inward. So wage growth has not in fact
been sharp in general terms. So argues Kaplinksy.

I plan on reading Glyn's book soon.

Rakesh