Re: [OPE-L] Kommunistische Zeitschrift

From: Christopher Arthur (arthurcj@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 07:18:00 EDT

Ernesto
Why do you think they wrote it? I think it is highly unlikely.
1. MECW would have included it, but they content themselves in the note
by saying that M&E's influence in the journal contents can be detected.
2. Draper does not mention it
3. The editor was Wolff so he probably wrote it.
4. A piece attacking Cabet's emigration plan has previously been
wrongly attributed to Marx. It was probably by Schapper.
5. There would be no reason for M&E to write together despite the one
off commission to do the CM which happened shortly thereafter.
6. M and E, separately, were active publishing during this period but
they did so in the Deutsche Brusseler Zeitung, a communist journal
edited by Bornstadt, very understandably since Marx was living there
and E in Paris.
7. There is an English translation of the whole journal in D Ryazanoff
*The communist Manifesto of Karl Marx and Frederick Engels* (London
martin Lawrence 1930) Appendix. I don't have it to hand so I cannot
report his editorial view.
8. Incidentally the epigraph to the journal was Workers of the world
unite - the first public appearance of this slogan.
Chris A