Re: [OPE-L] Reading posts

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 12:24:47 EDT

>A general point:

or a response to my post?

>One can not assume -- even if a member was subscribed to the list
>at the time that a specific thread was discussed -- that each
>subscriber is (or was) familiar with or remembers the contents of a
>thread, including who said what.

One cannot assume that one remembers which ideas one reads in which medium,
but that does free one from the obligation of trying to make proper citations
when one then publishes on a topic. This is quite easy in this case as OPE-L
is easily searchable!

This thread in question had Andrew Trigg's name in it, Andrew Trigg
participated
in it, and there were relevant posts for two weeks.

If ideas from that debate were appropriated--and it seems to me that
they were--then citation should have been made.

>  Recall that each of us has other
>commitments (political, professional, personal) and this means that many
>subscribers pick and choose which threads to read.  Recall also, in this
>context, that reading OPE-L posts can be time-consuming. Not to mention
>that one would have to have an outstanding and extraordinary memory indeed
>to recall the contents of the many thousands of threads which have been
>initiated on this list.

One should jog one's memory when writing. This has become very easy with
search engines. A google search with "Andrew Trigg" Grossman gives one
the OPE-L debate.

>I suppose we'd like to believe that every
>subscriber reads every post, but that is clearly a fallacy.

It seems to me that this OPE-L debate was in fact remembered when the
Science and Society
articles were written.

Rakesh