Re: [OPE-L] how will they COPE?

From: Gary Mongiovi (MONGIOVG@STJOHNS.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 11:12:17 EDT

The orientation of the editors needn't be a barrier to openness. The IWGVT sessions that Alan & Andrew organized for various conferences were genuinely pluralistic. The Editorial Board covers a wide range of perspectives. There is a self-selection aspect to the submission process, though, and the editors will prabably have to make a deliberate effort not to let the thing become the TSSI Journal of Economic (unless they want it to be--and there would be nothing wrong with that either).

I like the title of the journal, though the acronym COPE is probably not optimal from a marketing perspective (it conjures up a sense of beleaguered desperation which is in direct conflict with the confident full title of the journal); CPE, though less compact, would be better, if it were not already taken by Contributions to Political Economy.

The competiton among journals for strong articles is intense. But competition is healthy a healthy thing. So good luck to CoPE.

Gary