[OPE-L] how will they COPE?

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 09:24:09 EDT

A new journal is being planned. The _Critique of Political Economy_
(COPE) will be "steadfastly committed to pluralism",  but they:

"particularly encourage papers from scholars in the global South,
papers dealing with the temporal single-system interpretation (TSSI)
of Marx's value theory, and other TSSI-informed theoretical and empirical
research".

 There seems to be a lot of emphasis on the TSSI for a journal which
invites "contributions from the whole gamut of heterodox economic
traditions -- including (but not limited to) -- Marxist, post-Keynesian,
Evolutionary, Schumpeterian, and Institutionalist traditions."

There seems to be an inconsistency here:  how can one privilege one
perspective (the TSSI of Marx's value theory) but still have a journal
which is genuinely pluralist and welcoming to contributions from these
other traditions?  How will they be able to cope with this apparent
contradiction?

While they claim that they are "steadfastly committed to pluralism"
it should be noted that both of the editors are advocates of the TSSI
of Marx's value theory.

       Critique of Political Economy (COPE)

       Critique of Political Economy (COPE) is a new pluralist,
interdisciplinary journal. Submissions are warmly encouraged. The
call for papers is reproduced below; full details can be found on
the journal's website at <http://www.copejournal.org>

       CALL FOR PAPERS

       Critique of Political Economy (COPE), a new, interdisciplinary,
refereed journal devoted to the critique of political economy, is a
project of the International Working Group on Value Theory
(www.iwgvt.org). Edited by Alan Freeman (University of Greenwich,
UK) and Andrew Kliman (Pace University, New York, USA), with the
assistance of a working editorial board, COPE will initially appear
annually and be primarily an online journal. The first volume is
scheduled for publication in March 2007.

      COPE seeks to challenge and break down the separation between
political economy and social knowledge as a whole. Our editorial
board includes scholars in the fields of education, philosophy,
political science, sociology, as well as economics and accounting.
We invite submissions from researchers working in these and related
fields, including researchers from outside of academia.
Contributions from the whole gamut of heterodox economic traditions
- including (but not limited to) the Marxist, post-Keynesian,
Evolutionary, Schumpeterian, and Institutionalist traditions - are
welcome.

      We particularly encourage contributions that interrogate the
production of economic "knowledge" and contributions that help to
challenge the received "Whig History" of economic thought. We also
particularly encourage papers from scholars in the global South,
papers dealing with the temporal single-system interpretation (TSSI)
of Marx's value theory, and other TSSI-informed theoretical and
empirical research.

      COPE is steadfastly committed to pluralism. We intend to challenge
other journals' exclusionary practices, and the acceptance of such
practices, by demonstrating that critical pluralistic norms promote
quality research and genuine development of ideas. We uphold
authors' right to appeal editorial decisions before a panel of
disinterested persons, and the right of authors to reply to
critiques of their work. We employ a "double-blind" review process,
and COPE's editorial board will work with authors to improve and
clarify their work, not act as "gatekeepers." Although only
submissions "accepted for publication" become part of COPE, other
submissions that conform to the Scholarship Guidelines of the
International Working Group on Value Theory, our parent
organization, will be made available on our website as "working
papers."

     We encourage you to read our complete Mission Statement,available on
our website, www.copejournal.org.