Re: [OPE-L] Mike L's Deutscher Prize lecture

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 10:21:00 EDT

--- "michael a. lebowitz" <mlebowit@SFU.CA> wrote:

> Dear Ajit,
>          I hope you will go back and read that
> essay more carefully. I think you brought to your
> reading something that is not there. Rather than
> a productivity theory of wages, the focus is upon
> class struggle and how that is obscured by the
> assumption that real wages are given for a given
> period: 'The removal of the assumption of a given
> standard of necessity and the articulation of the
> variable X, the degree of separation among
> workers, in short, clearly bring class struggle
> to centre stage in the discussion of the
> development of capitalism.' In particular, my
> point was that the story told in Vol. I, Ch. 12
> about relative surplus value disintegrates once
> you remove  the (classical) assumption of given
> real wages, which (as in the case of Ricardo)
> focuses attention upon the effect of productivity
> change upon necessary labour--- meaning that 'the
> only change in the wage to be considered is that
> which results from changes in the conditions of
> production of the commodities consumed by workers.'
>          I hope this helps.
>                  sincerely,
>                  michael
__________________________
Dear Mike, your hypothesis that the course of real
wages is a function of (q/X) does lead to a
productivity based theory of wages. But I'm aware that
you intend to develop a 'class-struggle' based theory
of wages. On this front, I think the way out is to
drop the above hypothesis and embrace the Sraffian
position. In this context you declare the total net
output as 'surplus' and argue that the rate of profits
is a resultant of class struggle or relative class
strength. In this context we look at the determination
of the rate of profits or wages as simply a question
of the division of the net output produced. But in
Marx's context 'surplus' is defined as 'net output
minus real wages'. Thus wages have to be taken as
given prior to determining the 'surplus'. I would
suggest you to read Sraffa carefully, particularly
chapter 5, and you will find all the inspiration and
theoretical directions you are looking for. But, in my
opinion, you will have to think in terms of
determination of the rate of profits or wages at any
given point in time first before thinking in terms if
their course in the face of changing productivity or
whatever and also I think you will need to drop your
q/X hypothesis. I hope it was helpful. ajit