Re: [OPE-L] If a six turned out to be nine

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 11:42:19 EDT

I think we have reached an impasse and I don't get your jokes or
tongue in cheek comments. You think the change of plan controversy
has already run its course. I don't think it has even begun. My point
is simple: if Theodosius Dobzhansky said nothing in biology makes
sense except in the light of evolution, Grossman showed how nothing
in Marx's economic science makes sense except in the light of
expanded reproduction. This includes even the most important theory
of exploitation of formally free wage labor--see Marx's comments here
in his notes on Quesnay in TSV. This light is necessary to understand
foreign trade and crisis as well--the topics on which Marx putatively
did not write. The extension and simplification of Bauer's revised
(and improved) model of expanded reproduction allowed Grossman to
show graphically why this is true, but he did not identify his theory
with Bauer's scheme.

I don't see how my comments have been all over the place. I have
pursued a single thesis since Chris Arthur inquired about sources
about the Grundrisse, a text whose importance I think has been much
exaggerated (the influence of Negri and the Krisis group are
important here). Capital remains however the towering work, and it is
so because of its beautiful structure, inspired as it was by the
reckoning with Quesnay whose influence is at least or more important
than Hegel's on Marx's economic science.

Here begins and ends my agreement with Ajit and the Sraffians.

But this list is more Hegelian Marxist than it is Physiocratic
Marxist or Richard Jones Marxist. My sympathies are obvious.

Rakesh

ps. Recognizing the undeveloped nature of Marx's theory of credit,HG
tried to develop it and link it with the cycle. Grossman paid careful
attention to financialization and speculation, though he doubted
Hilferding's theory of hegemony of finance capital over industrial
capital (Franz Neumann's Behemoth accepts HG on this point as does
Sweezy, by the way).