[OPE-L] John Milios and Tariq Ramadan Banned from the USA

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 13:23:15 EDT

Listmembers will recall the case of (OPE-Ler) John Milios, who was
denied entry into the US in early June despite the fact that he had
been issued a visa.  Tariq Ramadan is another member of the group
which the US government had decided not to allow into that country.
See article below from today's _Washington Post_.

John: can you give us an update on your case?

In solidarity, Jerry

Why I'm Banned in the USA
By Tariq Ramadan
Washington Post, October 1, 2006; B01

For more than two years now, the U.S. government has barred me
from entering the United States to pursue an academic career. The
reasons have changed over time, and have evolved from
defamatory to absurd, but the effect has remained the same: I've
been kept out.

First, I was told that I could not enter the country because I had
endorsed terrorism and violated the USA Patriot Act. It took a
lawsuit for the government eventually to abandon this baseless
accusation. Later, I reapplied for a visa, twice, only to hear
nothing
for more than a year. Finally, just 10 days ago, after a federal
judge
forced the State Department to reconsider my application, U.S.
authorities offered a new rationale for turning me away: Between
1998 and 2002, I had contributed small sums of money to a French
charity supporting humanitarian work in the Palestinian territories.

I am increasingly convinced that the Bush administration has
barred me for a much simpler reason: It doesn't care for my
political views.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/29/AR2006092901334.html>