Re: [OPE-L] Theoretical issues concerning variable capital

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 14:05:35 EDT

--- Francisco Paulo Cipolla <cipolla@UFPR.BR> wrote:

> I'll not give you the page reference because I want
> you to read the book beyond chapter 2! Cheers, ajit
> sinha
>
> Who in this list has not read Sraffa behyond chapter
> 2?
_______________

Have you? If what you say is true then why most of the
people on this list who habitually criticise Sraffa
show such abject lack of knowledge of the book? I
think many Marxists have not even seen the book let
alone read the first two chapters--some of those feel
free to criticise Sraffa even in print. Go and check
out Alan Freeman's paper in 'Ricardo, Marx Sraffa',
obviously the guy had not even seen the book but
thought free to write criticisms based on hearsay.
Fred has given a good example on the list. My point is
that the Marxist value theorists should stop
predenting that they have taken care of Sraffa and
moved beyond him--they have not even read him (of
course, barring a few notable exceptions) let alone
understood what he was saying. The point is that we
have to get serious about quality. Anything goes (in
the name of pluralism or whatever) is not good enough.
Cheers, ajit sinha