Re: [OPE-L] Marxians on Sraffa; Sraffians on Marxians

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2006 - 08:41:44 EDT

> Have you?

Ajit:

With all due respect, sometimes I wonder if you know
who you are talking to.

I'm sure he (Paolo) has read and studied _PCBMC_.
It would be pretty difficult to get a degree from the New School
(back in the day) without studying -- seriously -- Sraffa.   I think
you would agree that Ed Nell, Vivian Walsh, John Eatwell, etc.
-- all faculty at the time at the New School --  were serious
scholars who had some knowledge of  Sraffa's theory.

> Fred has given a good example on the list.

... of someone who is familiar with Sraffa's writings. I
don't think you convinced anyone in that exchange of
Fred's lack of knowledge of Sraffa.  But, I could be
mistaken:  Gary, do you think Fred's knowledge of Sraffa
is poor?

>  The point is that we have to get serious about quality.
> Anything goes (in  the name of pluralism or whatever) is not
> good enough.

Fair enough.   If you explained your perspectives more
and were less assertive then the quality might improve.
Of course,  others have to improve their game as well.

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: I did check out again -- as you suggested -- the article you
referred to by Alan Freeman in Mandel and Freeman ed. _Ricardo,
Sraffa, Marx_: the author did indeed  (contrary to your claim) give
every indication that he saw  Sraffa's _PCBMC_  and read it "beyond
Ch. 2".  E.g. note  reference to Ch. XII (see note #20).