Re: [OPE-L] Marx on the 'maximum rate of profit'

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 09:41:45 EDT

Paolo wrote:

>Rising organic composition and rising rate of exploitation are obviously
>related, Ajit. They are two aspects of increasing productivity. As
>productivity rises and values fall workers can have a higher real wage
>(amount of goods), be more exploited, all this together with a reduction
>in the rate of profit. As you say the three trends can go together.
>The maximum rate of profit is a concept that allows us to see that the
>fall of the profit rate is independent of the rate of exploitation. For
>this to be true it is enough to show that the new value created (L)
>shrinks as a percentage of constant capital. Besides, L/c is part of
>reality: it is the total new value created as a % of constant capital.
>It is a living concept not an absurd hypothesis. Just as simple
>reproduction, it is there, it is part of the real world.

This is all very well helpfully articulated, and
it seems to suggest the unimportance of the bee
in someone's bonnet--the TSS assumption of V=0.

>  The fact that
>some of L is paid as variable capital only shows that the actual rate of
>profit moves underneath a falling trend.

Actual rate of profit may be underneath a falling
trend, but actual rate of profit even if
underneath a falling trend may itself rise for
some time if s/v continues to rise from an
initial low point, no?

>This was a way out of having
>the same status for tendency (rising c/v) and counter-tendency (rising
>s/v) in the interpretation of the FROP issue. I have never seen a
>critique of this view. If there is one I would be interested in knowing.

Well Andrew Trigg's response is that it's
possible for the s/v to rise for a very long time
such that even if the rate of profit falls the
growing mass of surplus value still suffices to
meet growing capitalist consumption needs and to
fund accumulation. Ajit abstracted away from the
mass of surplus value and capitalist consumption,
but they are crucial. But one would have to read
Bauer and Grossman even if politics did not allow
them to become dons at Austrian and German
universities.

For Andrew (at least in the original Science and
Society piece on Grossman and Kalecki) the real
weakness in the capitalist system is not a
shortage of new value from a rising organic
composition of capital or a shortage of surplus
value from rising real wages but a possible
unwillingness of the financial system to finance
autonomous increases in capitalist luxury
spending by which surplus value can be realized
and a rising s/v effected.

This is not so much a critique of your view but a view orthogonal to it.

Rakesh