Re: [OPE-L] Marx on the 'maximum rate of profit'

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 09:56:22 EDT

--- Paul Zarembka <zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU> wrote:

> > Generalize this case to agriculture as a whole, as
> > Ricardo did. You can have a rising organic
> composition
> > of capital with either fall or no increase in
> labor
> > productivity.
>
> Even in Vol. 1 Marx discusses the possibility of a
> falling c/v in ag. and
> mining (Chp. 24, Sect. 4).  Statements about the
> necessity of rising c/v
> amount to dogma.
________________________
Paul, I'm not concerned with empirical question. I'm
only concerned with the logical possibility. And in
any case, something does not become a dogma simply
because Marx said so. My sense is that empirically
also in agriculture and mining hstorically the C/V
must have been rising.
_____________________

> > You should
> > note that it is well accepted that the formula for
> the
> > rate of profits as S/(C+V) is wrong, so you need
> > check Sraffa to see whether the proposition you
> think
> > is obvious is all that obvious or not.
>
> Ajit, please tell us in what respect S/(C+v) is
> wrong according to
> others.  There are a lot of dimensions of this issue
> and I cannot tell
> which you are referring to.
Simple, capital cannot be measured by direct and
indirect labor-time. Cheers, ajit sinha