Re: [OPE-L] Horizontalism, Autonomy and Robert Owen

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 02:39:54 EDT

Dear Friends,

over nex few days I cant reply to your emails because I will be preparing
two job applications (as you know I am still looking for a lecturer job).  Thank
you for your patients.

Cheers, Dogan.

In einer eMail vom 22.10.2006 14:24:08 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt
glevy@PRATT.EDU:

>  Dogan, I wish you the best utopia you can handle, of course. But I am
>  not much good as a discussant on this topic because my interest in  this
> area is more in what realistic alternatives there are, and in  improving
> my own life.

Hi Jurriaan, Dogan and others:

If  you wish to discuss "realistic alternatives" and still discuss
Utopianism,  perhaps you could focus on some contemporary developments
such as the  autonomous social movements in Chiapas and Argentina.
Each in its own way  is an example of autonomous communities.  Just as
Utopian communities  in the 19th Century had to deal with some of the
realities of being  surrounded by capitalism, so too these communities
had to arrive at  practices  which took into account some practical
realities, e.g. to  make products, some of which are sold on markets
outside of the "zone" or  the communities of workers at "taken" factory
spacies.  Haven't these  communities had some horizontalist experience
of addressing these practical  issues and yet preserving solidarity
and their emancipatory  thrust?

In solidarity, Jerry