Re: [OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 05:36:58 EST

This was intended to reply to Howard. From Marxian  point of view that was a
bad labour. Sorry

Dogan

In einer eMail vom 18.11.2006 11:26:28 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM:

Hi Paul,

I think I agree with you in almost evrything you say. But I am not sure
about Pearce and his pragmatism. In Marx's case it is not signs but concepts  as
representations of what, say, a house may look like if it is built. I  am
singling out the whole complex cognitive and epistemological issues. Please  send
me your article.

Thank you
Dogan

In einer eMail vom 18.11.2006 00:22:38 Westeuropäische Normalzeit  schreibt
howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM:

Hi Paul and Dogen,

Paul, I don't think anything about the  'building the house in the head'
story compromises the dialectic of theory  and practice that you suggest in the
way you suggest.  First, Dogen is  quite right that the whole purpose of the
introduction Marx provides is to  discuss the labor process at a level of
abstraction common to all forms of  labor.  Second, what characterizes the causal
structures of nature we  are is intentional activity.  That's Marx's point.
Intentionality  is a projection into the future.  About the same time Marx was
working  out this analysis, the American philosopher Charles Pearce was beginning
to  think systematically about how we use signs.  The representations we
make of the house in our head are signs of what it will be.  They guide  and
discipline the labor process and our thinking about it.  But there  is nothing in
Marx's analysis to suggest that the sign we form to guide  practice functions
as a mechanical template imposed on a person's labor the  way a robot might be
programmed or without regard to class relations and the  other points you
mention.

A couple of points on the broader questions  raised by this thread.  All
things in process, including social  relations, reflect a trajectory of movement
and change.  They therefore  point forward to an end or a goal.  If we want to
refer to the process  taken as a whole, then we are going to have to use signs
that capture its  telos.  But this is a simple matter of reference to a
process, an  essential feature of science, not of some inevitable Hegelian or other
 idealist unfolding of spirit.  Causal explanation in social life (and  no
doubt of many natural phenomena as well) requires a broader conception of  cause
than we've become familiar with in science since the Renaissance  --
traditional science has tended to narrow the conception of cause to  efficient cause
only.  That was not Marx's 'come from' and to  understand explanation it's
worth having a look again at  Aristotle.

The same point holds for the question of form,  which relates to the
ontological question Dogen raised.  I've argued  that Marx's analysis of social forms
can be thought of much the way  Aristotle thought that the things of the world
were composites of matter and  form.  For Marx the social relations of labor
can be thought of as  composites of labor and form.  Recognizing this not only
puts an  important emphasis on the forms of the labor process, but also makes
it  possible to see the way Marx's analyses foreshadowed today's
sophisticated  scientific realism.   Scientists search for the causal structures  of the
world and Marx identifies causal structures of labor and form.   I've discussed
these issues in "Why Is This Labor Value:  The Commodity  Form of Labor as a
Social Kind."  'Social Kind' here is used the way we  think of water as a
natural kind.  The essay will be published in  Pearce and Frauley, eds., Critical
Realism and the Social Sciences:  Heterodox Elaborations, by the University of
Toronto Press.  If  anyone is interested in the argument, I can send a copy.

Howard