[OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 15:13:02 EST

Lets get  back to normality. Below an abstract of my article on Marx's
conception of  labour. It is published in Turkish journal 'Praksis'. A slightly
different  German version can be found on the link
_http://www.steinbergrecherche.com/dogangoecmen.htm_ (http://www.steinbergrecherche.com/dogangoecmen.htm)

Marx’s  Concept of Labour and the Flexibilisation of Work Conditions

Doğan  Göçmen

This  essay explores Marx’s concept of labour in the context of  contemporary
discussions about the flexibilisation of work conditions. It  takes for
granted that
one of the most important debates in social and  political sciences and
philosophy
refers to the questions and problems of  labour. The thesis that is being
underpinned is that Marx’s concept of labour  provides the most reliable
concept
just because it presents the highpoint of  the development of the concept of
labour
in modern times. I present first the  general aspects of Marx’s concept of
labour:
ontological, teleological and  sociological. Particularly in relation to
contemporary
concepts of actions I  emphasise the comprehensiveness of his concept of
labour.
Having done this I  then turn to the examination of the historical aspects of
his
concept. I  focus on his critique of value theory of labour, which he
developed
within  the framework of his essential critique of political economy. And
finally  I
explore the question whether Marx’s critique of the value theory of labour
is still
valid. The exploration of this question is important because since  the mid of
1980s we face often claims which question the validity of his  critique. I
consider
this claim particularly in relation to the discussion on  Fordism, Toyotism
and
flexibilisation of work conditions. I take thereby of  course also into
account
proposals made by bourgeois sociologists and  philosophers to solve the
problems arising from unemployment and the  reorganisation of the whole world
of
production. I close my essay by  concluding that in the face of deformations
and
alienations, arising  particularly from value theoretical foundation of
labour, there
cannot be  claimed that Marx’s critique of value theory of labour is no
longer valid.
As  opposed to these kinds of claims I suggest that any attempt to overcome
these  deformations and alienations would end up in a failure, if it does  not
question the very logic of the private ownership of the means of  production.