Re: [OPE-L] on observing rape in dolphins

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 23:47:38 EST

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>
>> Citing no sources, the moderator tells us that it dolphin rape
>> has been observed.
>
> For example, Connor, R.C., Smolker, R.A, & Richards, A.F. 1992 Two
> levels of alliance formation among male bottlenose dolphins
> (Tursiops sp.). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89:987-990

3 pages, 1992? Wow!

>> I consider this an assault on academic integrity...
>
> Please give us a break.
>
> Allin Cottrell

 Did you follow the controversy over the Thorhill book--I did; did you
already know of the arguments in the piece I forwarded? Do you know of a
response to it (or the criticisms written by Elisabeth Lloyd, Jonathan
Marks and Frans de Waal who by the way does think there is an ape theory
of the mind--so you should find him congenial)?

Do you think this is a question which we don't have to be extremely
careful about?

At any rate,  do these "rapes" have the same causes, functions, and
effects on the victim? Are scorpions and dolphins doing the same thing in
the act of rape? How is it being defined then? And what of oragutans? The
same act as the scorpions?

 What is our level of knowledge about this? If the evidence is up in the
air, why should put them all under the same biological description? And
what follows from the uncareful and confused naturalization of rape?

I am astonished that you would want to be given a break on such tough
questions.

I can't think of a question less suited to the giving of breaks.

You can rest assured that even if I do give you that break, many scholars
will not.

Rakesh