Re: [OPE-L] on observing rape in dolphins

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2006 - 00:17:31 EST

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>
>> Citing no sources, the moderator tells us that it dolphin rape
>> has been observed.
>
> For example, Connor, R.C., Smolker, R.A, & Richards, A.F. 1992 Two
levels of alliance formation among male bottlenose dolphins
> (Tursiops sp.). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89:987-990
>
>> I consider this an assault on academic integrity...
>
> Please give us a break.

Do note what you ellisped because it provides justification for my statement.

I had written:

"Citing no sources, the moderator tells us that it dolphin rape has been
observed. The moderator seems unaware of the biological, philosophical and
political difficulties in blithely making such a claim.

http://web.mit.edu/anthropology/faculty_staff/helmreich/PDFs/sex_on_the_brain.pdf

I consider this an assault on academic integrity, given the seriousness of
the issue. It's also a travesty given that biologists, ethnologists and
anthropologists who are sympathetic to Marxism most often play careful
attention to these difficulties."

Now that pleading for a break does not provide a reply to what Helmreich
or I am saying.

And I have not said that rape does not exist in non human animals. I have
insisted that such a question be treated VERY carefully. What is meant by
rape? For an act to be described as rape, must it have certain causes or
functions or meanings? What is the relationship between theory and
definition? Is human rape genetically determined as a reproductive
strategy as 'rape' presumably is among scorpions and dolphins? How could
that be established?

I am astonished that you would want to be given a break on such questions.

By the way, do you agree with  the implication of Paul C's argument that
since the passing on of written arguments is the key to human uniqueness,
preliterate cultures must therefore be not yet fully human.

Well all this is so appropriate in the week that Michael "Kramer" Richards
outed himself.

Rakesh

Rakesh

Allin Cottrell