Re: [OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 11:07:36 EST

Hi Ian,

This is a very interesting post and I cannot do it justice.  I must hurry an
answer.  Perhaps I can come back to it.   To begin, let me insist again, I
am open on all of this.

But . . . . I can agree with everything you say about reference and repeat
my question now by saying there are two ways we have to think about
reference.  We can think of reference in terms of following rules or in
terms of interpreting meaning.  It is not clear to me that things without
consciousness interpret meaning.  John Searles for example made what he
called a Chinese room argument.  Assume a person that does not understand
Chinese.  You put her in a room.  In the room are Chinese characters and a
rule book in a language she does understand.  Chinese characters come under
the door and she looks in the rule book and does what she's supposed to and
passes the results out under the door. The door is locked.  In fact the
characters ask questions and the actions she performs in response to the
characters provide answers.  From outside the room it looks as if a dialogue
is going on.  But in fact the person in the room understands nothing.

Suppose instead the questions came in in the language the person does
understand.  Then she would understand the questions and her answers would
reflect that understanding.

That is, nothing in your argument suggests anything more than rule
following.  Rule following can be as complicated as you like and this can go
forward without meaning.  Bhaskar gives the example of polishing an icon
without understanding the meaning of what one is doing.  The robot can be
exquisitely programmed without understanding.  In other words, following a
syntax does not mean we have a semantics of reference.

I quite agree with your point about the reproduction of a social relation
like value.  You capture an important point powerfully by saying the causal
processes are implemented by human subjectivity but are not reducible to it:

>For example,
> prices refer to labour-time due to the causal processes instantiated
> by the law of value, which happens to be partially implemented via
> human subjectivity but is not reducible to it.

I want to insist, though, that we can interpret and understand the processes
as they unfold, and what we do with our interpretation does not reduce to
rule following.  For example, the operation of value's causal processes
depends on a certain success in prohibiting theft.  Criminal penalties
ensure that human subjectivities implement the causal processes of value in
the right sort of way.  Suppose someone violates one of those rules without
understanding what they are doing.  They do what looks like (say, to somone
on the other side of a door) stealing.  But if they don't understand, you
don't punish in the same way or not at all.  You punish a dog.  What sense
does it make to punish a thermostat?

Howard