Re: [OPE-L] what is irrational in the functioning of capitalism?

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 06:11:42 EST

In einer eMail vom 28.11.2006 14:42:22 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM:

Hi Dogan:

The belief that capitalism is inefficient and irrational is implied  by
mainstream economic theory.

Consider a production possibilities curve for the macroeconomy.
Label the axes 'guns' and 'butter' if you like.  On the production
possibilities curve, all resources (land, labor,  capital) are  being
fully and efficiently utilized.  If there is unemployment,  however,
then it necessarily follows (within the context of the PPC graph)
that the economy is  not on the curve itself  (rather, it is to  the left
of the curve) and is therefore *not* fully and efficiciently utilizing  all
available resources because it is not fully and efficiently
utilizing all *labor* resources.  To the extent that one could claim
that there is a structural association between periodic unemployment
and capitalism, one can conclude -- *using only mainstream theory!*
-- that capitalism has an element of inefficiency and irrationality  to
its operation.  This is a point which is often overlooked by  mainstream
economists themselves.  (The more important point here,  though,
is not that capitalism is inefficient but rather that the concepts
associated with mainstream theory -- in this case, opportunity  costs,
scarcity, choice -- are not capable of fully grasping the dynamic of
capitalism.)

Jerry, thank you for pointing that out. But I think that mainstream  economic
theory does not explain why the system works inefficiently and  irrationally.
It ignores the very structural problems behind it. The point I am  trying to
make is this: capitalism cannot work otherwise than it works. So the
correction of the dirction of production is not a matter of individual and  subjective
decission making, and minor changes in the direction of the ends of
production under capitalist conditions. This is an old dilemma. Lets take for  example
Keynes. In his General Theory, he explicitly says that the fact there is
unemployment does not suggest that the direction of production is wrong. I think
any mainsteram solution to the problem of unemployment does not go beyond
this  assertion of Keynes'. Classical political economy goes much beyond this, It
 points to structrual problems. Especially Smith championed the idea that the
 work should be distributed among all people able to work. This implies
cutting  work hours and distributing it eqaully. This is why classical political
economy  deserves to be called scientific in Marxian words.

> From the entrepreneurs point of view it does not matter whether
> there is unemployment.

I strongly disagree: whether there is unemployment or not has huge
consequences for individual capitalists.  Putting aside the issue  for
now of demand-effects, if there is unemployment then capitalists
will be in a stronger bargaining position to get wage-workers to  work
for lower wages and benefits, increase the length of the working  day,
increase the intensity of labor, etc.

I agree with everything you say here. Anybody who read something on the  role
of reserve armee by Marx should know that. The point that I was trying to
make is this: individual entrepreneur is above all concerned about using its
full capacity of production as much as possible with as less work force as
possible. Individual entrepreneur does not say 'now I am going to produce so and
so many' unemployed people. He is by force of competion merely concerned about
 the ration of constant capital to variable capital. Unemployment is not
his/her  conscious intention. Rather it is an outcome of the functioning of the
overall  structure of the production in capitalist society.

In solidarity, Jerry