Re: [OPE-L] compromise

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 09:32:48 EST

>I want to stres that I am very happy of this
>compromise. I value very much Rakesh's
>contributions, as well as Jerry's and his role
>as coordinator.
>
>Point 2) seem to me the ABC of the ethics of
>conversation, but weel, ok, let's repeat it ..

To me that point is more like a a fabulated
letter imposed on the real alphabet .

To me there are other keys to the ethics of
conversation--honest use of evidence, avoidance
of straw men, open acceptance of the persuasive
arguments and existence of interlocutors, concern
that your positions will not needlessly injure in
an ad hominem manner the deliberative capacities
of the more vulnerable, recognition of the
effects of the social and (in this case) academic
field on the differential power of the
conversants, an attempt to think through the very
complicated relationship between emotion and
logic, the provision of actual publically
comprehensible reasons for one's judgements.

Rakesh