Re: [OPE-L] what is irrational in the functioning of capitalism?

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 13:49:10 EST

In einer eMail vom 29.11.2006 19:24:47 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM:

"If human beings become merely  observers to the production process can
it still be said that they are  engaged in production labor?"
I would say 'yes' because it is  socially necessary labour and it is part of
production.

Hi Dogan:

'Guard labor' -- what I referred to  previously -- does not produce
commodities
but rather protects their  ownership. From an individual capitalist
perspective,
they -- like lawyers -- may be deemed necessary, but they do not  themselves
produce commodities.

Jerry, I was thinking about this in broader context and remembered what
Saint-Simon says on police, armee and so on. He says all these works are are
absolutely necessar today, but from a more advanced society's point of view they
are no longer necessary. A similar point is made by Smith in relation to the
state as such in his "Lectures on Jurisprudence"

Regards

Dogan