[OPE-L] The killer instinct - human or animal?

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 13:07:46 EST

Here's a Presidential assurance that the West is not going soft or anything,
when faced with 'barbarous hordes' threatening 'democratic civilisation':

"There were doubts about NATO and our ability to conduct demanding security
operations. There are no questions about our ability now. We've killed many
hundreds of Taliban, and it has removed any doubt in anybody's mind that
NATO can do what we were sent here to do."

- President Bush, during a speech on the NATO Alliance in Riga (Latvia),
approvingly quoting General David Richards, the British commander of NATO
troops in Afghanistan.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/11/20061128-13.html

(The German newsmagazine Der Spiegel recently ran a story headed "The
Germans Have to Learn How to Kill", referring to the alleged reluctance of
German soldiers to get actively involved in the fighting in Afghanistan).
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,449479,00.html

It all reminded me of the famous lines in Arlo Guthrie's anti-war song
"Alice's Restaurant":

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill.  I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill.  Kill.  I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth.  Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL."  And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, "KILL, KILL."  And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy.""

Jurriaan