Re: [OPE-L] The killer instinct - human or animal?

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 13:27:59 EST

Jurriaan,

what makes so angry about Der Spegel's cover story : "Germans Have to  Learn
to Kill Again" is the implicit analogy to the Third Reich there.  Germans
become normal again as decades ago an extreme conservative politician  called
upon. Do we have to take ruling politics as a mirror of what is going on  in civil
society?

Dogan

In einer eMail vom 30.11.2006 19:08:15 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
adsl675281@TISCALI.NL:

Here's a  Presidential assurance that the West is not going soft or anything,
when  faced with 'barbarous hordes' threatening 'democratic  civilisation':

"There were doubts about NATO and our ability to conduct  demanding security
operations. There are no questions about our ability  now. We've killed many
hundreds of Taliban, and it has removed any doubt in  anybody's mind that
NATO can do what we were sent here to do."

-  President Bush, during a speech on the NATO Alliance in Riga  (Latvia),
approvingly quoting General David Richards, the British commander  of NATO
troops in  Afghanistan.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/11/20061128-13.html

(The  German newsmagazine Der Spiegel recently ran a story headed "The
Germans  Have to Learn How to Kill", referring to the alleged reluctance of
German  soldiers to get actively involved in the fighting in  Afghanistan).
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,449479,00.html

It  all reminded me of the famous lines in Arlo Guthrie's anti-war  song
"Alice's Restaurant":

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I  want to kill.  I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill.  Kill.  I  wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my  teeth.  Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL."   And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
he started  jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling,  "KILL, KILL."  And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent  me down the hall, said, "You're our  boy.""

Jurriaan