[OPE-L] compromise

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2006 - 07:00:15 EST

Hi Rakesh,

Frankly I do not know, though I could find out.

I was referring to Jerry's important role over the years in hosting,
moderating and inspiring a community of scholars who have different points
of view, and engage in a kind of Socratic dialogue about the legacy of Marx
& Engels, on-list and off-list (including conferences).

I realise it is technically quite easy for an academic to jack up an
Internet mailing list, but it is another thing to stimulate and maintain
good discussions on that list which do not simply preach to the converted,
which people find interesting, and which encourage a kind of participation
with honorable motives that does not degenerate into flaming, rancour and
animosity. It requires a basic mutual respect.

Marx's concept of the "forces and relations of production" is rooted in the
idea that humans are creatures who both "create and relate". Undoubtedly the
creative aspect has a purely technical component to it. But beyond technical
relations between producer and product, there are also social and
communicative relations to consider. And in reality humans can hardly create
without relating, and relate without creating. For creativity to flourish,
it is important to be mindful of how we relate.

Jurriaan