Re: [OPE-L] what is irrational in the functioning of capitalism?

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 05:02:51 EST

_Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM_ (mailto:Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM) :

I think  that his presentation of the law of the tendency for the general
rate of  profit to decline (LTGRPD) is implicitly a critique of Smithian
doctrine.  But, I admit that there isn't textual evidence to show that  Marx intended
the LTGRPD in part to
be a critique of  Smith.

Hi Jerry,

I have been reading in Capital and Grundrisse on this. I agree with you  on
this and there is textual edidence. But I think Marx intends to develop his
theory of the tendency for the general rate of profit to decline (LTGRPD) to
criticise the whole of political economy - even of his days'. As to the textual
evidence please compare the fourth paragraph in the chapter XIII in the
volume  3. He says:

"Simple as this law appears from the foregoing statements, all of political
economy has so far had little success in discovering it, as we shall see in a
later part. [K. Marx, Theorien über den Mehrwert. K. Marx/F. Engels,  Werke,
Band 26, Teil 2, S. 435-66, 541-43. — Ed.] The  economists perceived the
phenomenon and cudgelled their brains in tortuous  attempts to interpret it. Since
this law is of great importance to capitalist  production, it may be said to
be a mystery whose solution has been the goal of  all political economy since
Adam Smith, the difference between the various  schools since Adam Smith having
been in the divergent approaches to a solution.  When we consider, on the
other hand, that up to the present political economy  has been running in circles
round the distinction between constant and variable  capital, but has never
known how to define it accurately; that it has never  separated surplus-value
from profit, and never even considered profit in its  pure form as distinct
from its different, independent components, such as  industrial profit,
commercial profit, interest, and ground-rent; that it has  never thoroughly analysed
the differences in the organic composition of capital,  and, for this reason,
has never thought of analysing the formation of the  general rate of profit — if
we consider all this, the failure to solve this  riddle is no longer
surprising."
K. Marx, Capital, Moscow: Progress Publishers, 1971, pp.  213-214.

Alternatively: _http://www.marx.org/archive/marx/works/1894-c3/ch13.htm_
(http://www.marx.org/archive/marx/works/1894-c3/ch13.htm)