Re: [OPE-L] transition measures

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 11:24:14 EST

--- Jerry Levy <Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM> wrote:

> Hans:
>
> I agree with the following except for the following
> caveat:
> whether it's 10 years, less than 10 years, or *more
> than* 10 years
> is unclear -- at least to me.  Different forecasts
> -- using different
> assumptions -- have suggested different time
> periods.  *In any
> event*, the emerging consensus among scientists is
> that the period
> of time before the 'tipping point' arrives is  V E R
> Y short.
>
> So, to return to my original question, do you really
> think that
> there will be a social movement which will grow in
> size
> and strength to such an extent that the required
> changes happen
> before the Earth goes past the 'tipping point'?
>
> I am disheartened to see that many progressives
> don't see
> the  *U R G E N C Y* of this issue.  If it's not at
> or near the
> top of a Leftist agenda for change, then what chance
> do we have?
> If we have to rely on the goodwill of capital and
> the state, then
> I think that the Earth is doomed.
>
> In solidarity, Jerry
________________________________
I think if the US will come on board in a couple of
years time then at least on the carbon (CO2) question
something significant could be achieved. That's why
the next US presidential elections would be very
important. I hope Gore runs at least in the primary,
so that this question is seriously put on the agenda.
Cheers, ajit sinha

ps. My colleague Roger Guesnrie is working very hard
and leading the French Intellectual scene on this
question these days.