[OPE-L] Karl H. Niebyl

From: Martin Kragh (Martin.Kragh@HHS.SE)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 11:42:34 EST

Hi all,

I remember someone asking on this list for some basic info on Karl H Niebyl's "Studies in the Classical Theories of Money" (Columbia University Press, 1946).

I actually remember having this book in my office since I earlier was quite interested in monetary questions. The book is basically historical to its approach, and the author tries to show how the role and function of money grew out of the materialisation of commercial society. He writes:

"History develops in phases, and these phases in turn are distinguished by certain characteristics. Therefore we have grown accustomed to making divisions in economic history - for instance, differentiating between feudal institutions and those of industrial capitalism. The historical phase of which our present-day monetary institutions form a part is industrial society.

Each phase of social history presents its own characteristic development. Although the early changes in a new period are still overshadowed by the institutions of the preceeding period, there comes a time within this development when the young institutions have grown strong enough to be little influenced by those of the past." (p.1)

The table of contents will reveal the rest I think (I do not include all subchapters in the following):

PART 1

1. Methodological introduction
2. The Developing necessity for a monetary standard (production, industrial commodities, bimetallism, coinage, paper money, country banking)
3. The Genesis of banking (credit)
4. The Quantity doctrine of bullionism (Mercantilism, money and investment, state finance)

PART 2 The Formulation of the Classical Quantity Theory

5. The Issues of the bullion controversy (historical background, monetary issues)
6. The Theory of Inflation (Bullionist theories, interest, general price level, effects)
7. The Economic Setting of Deflation
8. The Theory of Deflation (Character of the fall of the general price level, function of interest, savings and investment, stable monetary standard)
9. The Quantity Theory of Money (International trade, currency debates, theory of equilibrium, concept of quantity)
10. Some Conclusions on the Classical Quantity Theory of Money.

What do I think of the book? Not too much to be honest. The author was obviously not a historian and theoretically it is quite basic. If you want the basic 101 of development of money (with emphasis on England) it might however be useful.

Kind regards,
Martin