Re: [OPE-L] Karl H. Niebyl

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 15:59:56 EST

> I remember someone asking on this list for some basic info on Karl H
> Niebyl's "Studies in the Classical Theories of Money" (Columbia
> University Press, 1946).

Hi Martin:

Yes, I asked:
<http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/ope/archive/0611/0055.html>.

> What do I think of the book? Not too much to be honest. The author was
> obviously not a historian and theoretically it is quite basic. If you
> want the basic 101 of development of money (with emphasis on England)
> it might however be useful.

Obviously, then, you don't agree that it was (as advertised) a
"devastating critique of the monetary theory of capitalism."

Did you get the impression, though, that it was a Marxian critique?
(in the announcement, he was described as a German Marxist.)

Thanks for the information!

In solidarity, Jerry