[OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] Karl H. Niebyl

From: Martin Kragh (Martin.Kragh@HHS.SE)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 05:22:18 EST

Hi Jerry,

You wrote:

"Did you get the impression, though, that it was a Marxian critique?"
I'll say this much, it is a critique with some marxist influence. The terminology is his own, and you find not many explicit references to the works by Marx. He regards the development of money in a historical way (role of money develops in accordance with development of industrial society) - however, he completely avoids the dialectical framework, for him money is not a real abstraction it seems to me. He doesn't analyze value, or its subsequent forms from which money develops. Not even on the level of Ricardian theory.

So my answer is no, I do not think it is a "devestating critique of monetary theory". It is, at best, a theory of how the popular Ricardian framework was substituted for a marginalist theoretical one. This is however my own opinion, and others might find it more useful. It is, still, a good summary of the British debates on money in the 19th century.

Kind regards,
Martin