Re: [OPE-L] (new book) Clifford D. Conner _A People's History of Science_

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2006 - 09:12:27 EST

> By the way, do you know  the classical work of  John D. Bernal?
> It is outstanding .

Alejandro:

I read several books by Bernal when I was in high school a few years ago
(I also met Cliff Conner when I was in HS, btw).  I don't remember much of
the details, but I thought that his books were FOR HIS TIME good examples
of  'orthodox' Marxist scholarship which were intended to be read by a wide
audience.  The question is, how well do they stand-up today?   This isn't
just a question of advances in scientific thought, it also a question related
to a critical understanding of "dialectical materialism" and the "dialectics of
nature" a la Engels.

btw, there is an archive at the MIA which includes some of his works:
<http://www.marxists.org/archive/bernal/index.htm>

In solidarity, Jerry