Re: [OPE-L] (new book) Clifford D. Conner _A People's History of Science_

From: Alejandro Valle Baeza (valle@SERVIDOR.UNAM.MX)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2006 - 00:18:14 EST

glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:

>The author of this book is an old comrade and friend from the
>1970's. A short book desciption and interview with the author
>follows.
>
>The web site for the book is, which includes a sample chapter, is:
><http://www.peopleshistoryofscience.com>
>
>Considering its length (424 pages), it is surprisingly affordable
>(US$17.95) -- although that's altogether fitting for a book on the
>subject.  The potential audience is, after all, quite large.
>
>Cliff said that the last chapter has a bit on Keynesianism and
>he would appreciate feedback from radical economists about what was
>written there.  Maybe I'll ask him if he can send us an excerpt
>from the chapter which deals with this topic so it can be posted
>to the list.
>
>If any of you have read the book, I'm sure the author would like to
>hear what you think about it.
>
>In solidarity, Jerry
>

>           [about the book]

Jerry, thank you for this interesting reference. By the way, do you know
the classical work of  John D. Bernal? It is outstanding .
"JOHN DESMOND BERNAL - THE SAGE
By
William Reville, University College, Cork.

I remember excitedly buying a boxed set of 4 books, Science in History
by John D. Bernal (Pelican, 1965), when I was an undergraduate. At the
time I was an amateur Marxist and Bernal's work was an encyclopaedic
analysis of science and society from a Marxist point of view. I was
delighted to learn that Bernal was an Irishman who had spent a brilliant
career at the leading edge of UK science, making many notable contributions.

John Desmond Bernal was born in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary in 1901. The
Bernals were originally Sephardic Jews who came to Ireland in 1840 from
Spain via Amsterdam and London. They converted to Catholicism and John
was Jesuit-educated. John enthusiastically supported the Easter Rising
and, as a boy, he organised a Society for Perpetual Adoration. He moved
away from religion as an adult, becoming an atheist.

Bernal showed precocious talent right from the start. At the age of two
he was taken by his American mother to see his grandmother in California
and he amazed passengers on the steamship by talking in both English and
French. In later life at Cambridge his fellow students nicknamed him
'Sage' because of his great knowledge."
Full article:
http://understandingscience.ucc.ie/pages/sci_johndesmondbernal.htm
Cordialmente