Re: [OPE-L] Keynes and Marx (German)

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2006 - 09:36:55 EST

Paul,

my paper is a short one and therefore its aim is restricted to the  answering
of the question of what is the nature and relationship of two  theories,
namely that of Keynes and Marx. The main thesis of the paper is that  Keynes'
theory is conservative, whereas the theory of Marx is revolutionary.  This answers
also the question about their relationship.

In writing this paper my aim was not to justify or criticise any party
policy. I am not a party ideologist but a scientifically minded social and
political theorist. In Germany and in many other countries I  know people,  in
particular in left wing movements, mix up  Keynesianism and Marxism. My immediate
aim was to clarify this question. As far  as I see you seem to agree with my
characterisation of these theories.

Paul:
As such it admits the  possibility of political intervention being necessary
in order for the economy  to be regulated.
Dogan:
I think that all theories of political  economy in one way or another justify
state intervention. Some of them do this  explicitly others more implicitly.
But they all justify in one way or another  state intervention. This is not
the defining feature just of Keynes' economic  theory. I recommend to read
Luxemburg's posthumously published 'Intorduction to  Political Economy'.She gives
there a very interesting explanation about two-fold  function of vulgar
economy. One is to manupulate people and another is to  develop policy poroposals for
people behinf the  bars.