[OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] What Ahmadinejad actually said - lost in translation...

From: Martin Kragh (Martin.Kragh@HHS.SE)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 09:40:15 EST

Re: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] What Ahmadinejad actually said - lost in translation...

Hi Paul,

You wrote:
"
Martin
If the correct translation goes that the "regime...must vanish from the page of time"; I do not see why this cannot be interpreted as him meaning that: Israel (=regime), that should exist no more. As Paul does, by bringing the "killing of millions of people" thing into this really doesn't contribute since nobody ever said anything about that.

Paul
Nethanyahu was alleging just that on the BBC, claiming that Iran was preparing the killing of millions
of Israelis. The Iranians of course want the Israeli state to vanish from the page of time just as
most Africans wanted the Apartheid state in South Africa to cease to exist. But that did not
mean that the Africans wanted the whites there to be killed.

This is a serious issue as it looks likely that the US and Israel might use this address by the
Iran premier as an excuse to launch a nuclear attack on Iran.
"
I agree with you completely, and I appologize if I was not very clear. When I wrote (above in previous post) :

"As Paul does, by bringing the "killing of millions of people" thing into this really doesn't contribute since nobody ever said anything about that."

...I meant nobody in the debate here on the OPE-L list said anything about that. I do not doubt that officials in the West might seriously consider launching an attack on Iran. I personally believe that the war launched against Iraq was a way to try to get to the Iranaian regime in the first place. The reason I wrote the way I did was because your first reply to me had (in my honest opinion) an implication that I do not understand properly these contemporary, basic political issues. I simply try to separate the (more educated) debate here on this list, from the disinformation produced in mainstream media. Otherwise we would have to take into consideration every crazy statement procured, for example by Fox News, every time we wish to say something about our modern world. Please look to J. Bendien's last reply to me, since I think he summarizes also my opinion very well.

I hope this my last reply summarizes well my standpoint, and clears all possible misunderstandings.

Kind regards

Martin