Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 17:38:02 EST

Hi, Ajit,

D:

> That is quite a different thing from what you said.
_____________________
Ajit:

Not really. A "given market" takes care of all what
you are saying. In any case, given your averages, the
question still remains on what basis you say that if a
jeans is sold for $100, then its "market value" is 100
hours of labor? That was the question.
__________________

Diego:

In the last instance, the answer is that it is already proven that all new
value is created by labour alone. That merit corresponds to Marx. Let's see.
The argument is: If a and b are true, then c is true. And c is: "only labour
creates value".

a) We start from the principle of exchange of equivalents. Then M = C and C'
= M' in the scheme M - C .P. C' - M'. Therefore, value is created in ".P.".

b) A commodity is a use-value that has a certain value; this value is linked
to the use-value in such a way that it is maintained if the use-value is
still there and it disappears when and to the extent that the use-value
disappears. No value can be created from nothing.

c) In ".P." there are only three things: 1) means of production; 2)
labour-power; 3) labour.

1. The value of the means of production disappears when the latter disappear
because they are transformed into a product. At most, their value can have
passed to the value of the product. Therefore they cannot create new value.

2. The labour-power does not disappear at all. Therefore workers keep this
value for them. It cannot create new value.

3. The only thing that can create value is thus labour, the activity of
workers. The more this activity lasts the more will be the new value
created.

Therefore c is true: only labour creates value.

Do you agree?

_________________________
Ajit:

Yah, but how do you find out what would be the equal
rate of profits in the system?
____________________

Diego:

The value of the product less the value of the means of production and
consumption of workers, all divided by the value of the capital invested

___________________

Ajit:

But since from market prices you have already
"deduced" that 1 hour of labor = $1, how could direct
price be different from market price?

Diego:

Because to every different measure of value corresponds a different measure
of price, and vice versa. For every magnitude of price a commodity has there
is the corresponding magnitude of value.

Cheers,

Diego